SMOC Committee meeting, 1st September 2006
Attendees: Steve Hardy, Helen Nisbet, Robert Dove, Keith Downing, Rosie Shaw, John Mills, Karen Vines and Jason Falkener
Apologies: Sue Leaker, Richard Pownall, John Shaw
Matters arising from AGM:
- SMOC membership fees: The membership structure of BOF is changing in 2007. All members in SMOC, including current local members, will be expected to join BOF. To compensate for this was confirmed that SMOC element of BOF fees would be £0 in 2007.
- SMOC Signals: It was decided that SMOC Signals should be primarily distributed electronically in future, probably as a PDF document made available on SMOC’s website. Subject to sufficient demand, paper copies will be available at a cost of £10 per year (to cover the costs involved in producing and sending hard copies).
- Club tent: A new (large) club tent has been purchased
Current status of events
- SMOC’s 21st birthday event, limited district (colour-coded) event
- Date: 21st January 2007
- Location: Brogborough
- Planner/organiser: Keith
- Current status. The area will probably not need remapping - checking required.
Subsequent developments: This event clashes with a regional event at Ashridge and it will be delayed until March with the Club dinner the same weekend (perhaps).
- Regional (badge) event
- Date: 28th October 2007
- Location: Salcey
- Planner: John Shaw
- Organiser: Any volunteers?
- Current status. Some updated will be required of the map is likely to be required. This event will be also be the 2007 Midland Champs which is is likely to boost competitor numbers. A radio orienteering might also piggyback on this event.
- Radio orienteering event.
- Date: 24th September 2006
- Location: Hazelborough
- Organiser/Planner: John Little
- Current status. John Little has most things under control. SMOC should be able to provide any extra equipment needed. (e.g. signage, kites, stakes etc.) Some help is required from SMOC to help with Start/Finish and with Registration. This would free up John Little to deal with on-the-day training for first-time radio orienteers. Robert Dove volunteered to help all day. Other SMOC members would also be welcome at the event, either to compete or to help.
- Autumn series
- There currently seems to be a lack of events for club members to participate in, particularly if they don’t wish to travel out of the local area. Also there is a desperate need to put on events that might boost membership of SMOC. Thus is proposed to put on a series of low-key, low-input events in the Autumn/Winter to fill the gap. It was decided that each event should consist of three courses, one of which should be White course standard and ideally pushchair-friendly. The other two courses also should not be technically demanding, with the hope that they will appeal to newcomers to orienteering.
- Suggested dates: 15th October 2006, 12th November 2006, 26th November and possibly 10th December 2006.
- Location: Areas in and around MK. It is acknowledged that this will not suit all SMOC members. But hopefully it will provide a reasonable frequency of local events for at some SMOC members, and hopefully new recruits. If the series proves to be a success, similar series, based in other localities (such as Rushden/Wellingborough) could be staged in future years. To reflect the geographical focus of the event, one suggested title for the series is ‘Keyne-O’.
- Cost: It was suggested that £1 per map should be charged, for both SMOC members and non-members alike.
- Organisers/Planners: Steve Hardy offered to co-ordinate the series and stage one or two of the events. Jason and Richard have both offered to plan/organise one event
- Club Championships
- It was suggested that SMOC club championships should be piggybacked on another club’s event. The WAOC’s district event at Rowney Warren on 3rd December 2006 appears to be eminently suitable. This event should also be a good event for any Keyne-O participants to try ‘proper’ orienteering.
Subsequent Developments: 3rd of December is also the date of a National Event in Sheffield which many of SMOCs more experienced orienteers are likely to attend. The date etc. for Club Champs. will be considered again at the next committee meeting.
- Library exhibition
- SMOC has been approached by Luton library about SMOC contributing to a ‘Breathing Spaces’ exhibition on 21st-22nd October 2006. Jason agreed to organise our contribution.
- SMOC has occasional contact from Mid Beds Social Services. Apparently they run training courses on subjects such as fundraising.
- EA committee meeting. This takes place soon,in Newmarket. Keith is currently EAOA’s Secretary and will be attending.
- Frontier Centre (located just North of Rushden). Robert has completed a map for them. In return the center has offered SMOC a free activity session. This might prove a good idea for a summer series final - with the chosen free activity being done in the afternoon.
- There is a new country park opposite The Frontier Centre which could be another SMOC area. It was decided not to pursue this at the moment but to keep it in mind.
Any other business
- Kit. Perhaps the time is right for new ‘kraft-type’ SMOC orienteering kit to be produced. Given SMOC’s current small size, orders up-front for kit is likely to be necessary.
- Badges. Helen is SMOC’s Badge person. Helen and Keith will check on the procedures for awarding badges, and who might have some badges to award. The badge scheme should be publicised on the website. It was noted that the badge scheme is important for SMOC juniors, it is not only a reward scheme but also can act as a pathway in the EAOA junior squad.
- Stockgrove. There seems to be a possibly of using Rannamere again - particularly if there is sensitive planning. SMOC should therefore continue talking to the rangers about this.
- Club meetings. There was a consensus that there is a need for a return of occasional social gatherings on Thursday evenings. Suggestions for activities and/or suitable venues are requested.
- The website has a newlook front page. Another suggested improvement is the inclusion of instructions about how to join the e-group. Helen would welcome any further suggestions for the website.
- The new university term is approaching. Jason is hopeful of being able to persuade 1st and 2nd year students to get involved with SMOC.
- It was suggested that a social event should be held after the event on 21st January 2007 to celebrate SMOC’s 21st birthday. Any suggestions welcome.
- It was noted that the Thursday evening training runs were still taking place though they are not currently being advertised.
7.30pm, Friday 6th October 2006. Non-committee members are welcome to attend but they should contact Steve Hardy first.